Berlin Scriptwriter's Residency
EWA’s scriptwriter residency programme is a great initiative dedicated to supporting the next generation of screenwriting talents among EWA members. It helps them to enter the industry with the best script possible by working on the strategic positioning of their project . Its purpose is to give a selected woman scriptwriter or director the opportunity to be mentored by a script consultant, to work with her before the Berlinale and to attend the EFM at the Berlinale to make connections.
travel costs from and to Berlin. accommodation in a private room + access to a kitchen in Berlin starting from 22 January 2018 – and ending 22 February 2018, including four working sessions with a well-known script consultant (3 in Berlin + 1 Skype session after the Berlinale).
The EWA scriptwriting residency and the script consultancy must be mentioned in the credits of the later film.
Who is eligible?
- Women scriptwriters or directors with a European nationality and resident in Europe (47 Council of Europe countries) having written or directed at least one feature film (fiction or documentary) distributed (Theatrically/TV/wide festival trajectory) in one European country.
- who are EWA members. If you are not an EWA member you can join us now
- who have a first draft of a script in English for a full length feature film. Fiction only.
Elements to be provided :
- CV in English
- Copy of valid ID
- A first draft of the script in English
- Synopsis in English
- Project status information in English INCLUDING a Project curriculum (where the project has been presented, PRIZES, attached producer…)
- Motivation letter for the residency in English. This letter must show evidence of fluency in English.
- Evidence of release of previous films
The applications for the 2020 edition will open soon
Suzanne Pradel is the script consultant attached to the programme. Suzanne is an international script consultant, lecturer and bookscout. For many years, she has been working as a script expert for several European Film Funds. In 2009 she founded the BUCHSCOUT AGENCY which specializes in novel-to-film adaptations as well as international script consultancy, developing sophisticated TV features and cinematic features.
Past selected participants:
- Murielle Thierrin, 2017 winner of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriter's residency programme. Read her interview here
- Andrea Culkova, 2018 winner of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriter's residency programme. Read her interview here
- Ivona Juka, 2019 winner of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriter's residency programme. Watch her interview here
Like a surgeon, Suzanne came in our story, operating with skills to help us, by giving clear suggestions while respecting our own identity and sensibility.
2017 winner of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriter's residency program