Cine por Mujeres kicks off in Madrid
Carlota Álvarez-Basso and Diego Mas Trelles have founded a festival focused on women's diverse worlds, highlighting one country every year to offer a sample of the most interesting films all over the world.
For 7 days, Madrid will be the place to be. At Cine por Mujeres festival, they are determined to give women's work well-deserved visibility and screen 38 inspiring and thought-provoking films (including free access to some screenings).
Furthermore, some films will be presented by their directors: EWA member Hanna Slak, Emily Atef, Laura Bispuri and Lucía Gajá. A special focus on Swiss Films, a showcase of Contemporary Arab female directors and French directors (both sections available to watch online at Filmin), a tribute to documentary filmmaker and Auschwitz survivor Marcelina Loridan Ivens and six round-tables to open debates.
Will be screened 11 pieces of Virtual Reality, including shorts by Oscar-winning directors Kathryn Bigelow and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.
EWA Network director Alessia Sonaglioni will participate in two of the five round-tables.
Round table 1
Are public gender policies in the audiovisual industry and in the culture sphere necessary?
– Silvia Buabent Vallejo, Director of the Institute for Women and Equal Opportunities. Ministry of the Presidency, Parliament Relations and Equality
– Anna Serner, General Director of the Swedish Film Institute
– Beatriz Navas, General Director of the Instituto de la Cinematografía y de las Artes Audiovisuales (ICAA)
– Alessia Sonaglioni, Executive Director of the European Women Audiovisual Network.
– Virginia Yagüe, Vice-president of CIMA (Association of Women Filmmakers and Audiovisual Media)
Wednesday 27th 5:00 to 6:30 pm
Round table 2
Access to financing and distribution at film festivals
– Pablo Pérez de Lema Sáenz de Viguera, Spain representative at Eurimages and Head of Service of the General Subdirectorate of Promotion and International Relations of the Institute of Cinematography and of the Audiovisual Arts (ICAA)
– Nadia Dresti. Director of Locarno Pro
– Isabelle Giordano, General Director of UniFrance.
– Annouchka de Andrade, Director of the Amiens Film Festival
– Alessia Sonaglioni, European Women Audiovisual Network Executive Director
Friday 29 18:30 to 20:30pm
Round table 5
How did you make it?
Study case: Film directors
– Emily Atef, director. Trois jours à Quiberon (Alemania)
– Laura Bispuri, director Figlia Mia (Italia)
– Lucía Gajá, director Batallas íntimas (México)
– Hanna Slak, director The Miner (Eslovenia)
Sonia Tercero, director and producer of documentaries