Berlin Scriptwriters' Residency
EWA’s scriptwriters residency programme is a great initiative dedicated to supporting the next generation of screenwriting talents among EWA members. It helps them to enter the industry with the best script possible by working on the strategic positioning of their project . Its purpose is to give two selected women scriptwriters or directors the opportunity to be mentored by a script consultant, to work with her before the Berlinale and to attend the EFM at the Berlinale to make connections.
Accommodation in Berlin starting from 1 February 2020 – and ending 29 February 2020, including three working sessions with a well-known script consultant (2 in Berlin + 1 Skype session after the Berlinale) and the accreditation for the Berlinale.
The EWA scriptwriting residency and the script consultancy must be mentioned in the credits of the later film.
Who is eligible?
- Women scriptwriters or directors with a European nationality (47 Council of Europe countries) having written or directed at least one feature film (fiction or documentary) distributed (Theatrically/TV/wide festival trajectory) in one European country.
- who are EWA members. If you are not an EWA member you can join us now
- who have a first draft of a script in English for a full length feature film. Fiction only.
Elements to be provided :
- CV in English
- Copy of valid ID
- Treatment of the script in English. By the time of the selection you must have a full script in English or French. (The unavailability of a script by the time of the selection prevents you from being accepted in the residency)
- Synopsis in English
- Project status information in English INCLUDING a Project curriculum (where the project has been presented, prizes, attached producer…)
- Motivation letter for the residency in English. This letter must show evidence of fluency in English.
- Evidence of release of previous films
Fill in the application here ! We do not accept applications by email.
DEADLINE on October 20th
Suzanne Pradel is the script consultant attached to the programme. Suzanne is an international script consultant, lecturer and bookscout. For many years, she has been working as a script expert for several European Film Funds. In 2009 she founded the BUCHSCOUT AGENCY which specializes in novel-to-film adaptations as well as international script consultancy, developing sophisticated TV features and cinematic features.
Past selected participants:
- Murielle Thierrin, 2017 winner of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriter's residency programme. Read her interview here
- Andrea Culkova, 2018 winner of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriter's residency programme. Read her interview here
- Ivona Juka, 2019 winner of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriter's residency programme. Watch her interview here
- Celia Rico and Oonagh Kearney, 2020 winners of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriters' residency programme.
Like a surgeon, Suzanne came in our story, operating with skills to help us, by giving clear suggestions while respecting our own identity and sensibility.
2017 winner of EWA Network's Berlin scriptwriter's residency program
Despite the fact that I am back on a rollercoaster of everyday duties with all the other projects and my kids, I keep a memory of the residency as an important and precious kick off which pushed me so much ahead. It also helped me build up my self-confidence as a female author with a unique view on things.